Open Face Portabella Reubens
(Serving for 2, 1 serving = 1 portabella Reuben)
- 2 Portabella mushroom caps (cleaned)
- 2 Ounces 1% sharp white cheddar cheese (Cabot brand, comes in a block) – sliced
- ½ Cup sour kraut (canned) – drained and patted dry
- 2 Tablespoons Russian dressing (see recipe to follow)
- 1 Ounce turkey pastrami (Boar’s Head brand recommended)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Non stick cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2) Heat a large pan on medium-high and coat pan with non stick cooking spray.
3) Evenly trim edges & stems of the mushroom caps so that they are level with the gills of mushroom. Place both mushroom caps into the pan (smooth side up, gill side down) and let sit for 5-6 minutes.
4) Flip mushroom caps over (smooth side down, gill side up) and spread ½ crushed garlic clove on each of the exposed sides of the caps. Let the caps sit for 5-6 minutes, then flip them and let stand for another 2 minutes.
5) Once the mushrooms begin to release water, season both sides of each mushroom cap with salt and pepper.
6) Transfer the mushroom caps into on oven safe dish.
7) With the smooth side of each mushroom cap facing down (gills facing upward), take ¼ cup of sour kraut and place it on top of each mushroom cap.
8) Add 1 ounce of sliced cheese on top of the sour kraut on each mushroom cap.
9) Add ½ ounce of turkey pastrami on top of the cheese on each mushroom cap.
10) Lightly spray the top (the turkey pastrami) with non stick cooking spray and bake the caps in the oven for 10-15 minutes (or until the cheese has melted).
11) Serve on individual plates with a dollop of Russian dressing on the side for dipping.
(Serving for 2, 1 serving = 2 tablespoons)
- 3 Tablespoons Miracle Whip
- 1-2 Tablespoon ketchup (use more or less depending on your liking)
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped dill pickles
1) Whisk together the Miracle Whip and ketchup. Keep whisking until all lumps become smooth.
2) Mix in the chopped pickles.
(Also makes a great dip for veggies)
Open Face Portabella Reuben Nutritional Counts (per serving):
½ ounce extra lean protein
1 ounce lean protein
Picadillo Stuffed Peppers
(Serving for 2, 1 serving = 2 stuffed pepper boats)
- 10 Ounces Extra Lean Ground Turkey (or ground turkey breast)
- 2 green bell peppers, washed, de-stemmed, cleaned out
and cut in half (length wise, creating 4 individual boats)
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Hot sauce (add more if you wish)
- 1 packet of no calorie sweetener
- 2 tablespoons White Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning (or ½ tablespoon dried oregano and ½ tablespoon dried basil)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1) Place pan on medium-high heat and coat with non stick cooking oil.
2) Add chopped red bell pepper and onion and cook for 2 minutes (until vegetables start getting softer).
3) Add crushed garlic and mix into the onion and pepper mixture. Cook for about 3 minutes.
4) Add the ground turkey to the mixture. With a wooden spoon, break up the turkey to ensure the turkey doesn’t cook in large pieces.
5) Add the hot sauce, vinegar, cumin, chili powder, Italian seasoning, no calorie sweetener, salt and pepper. Stir to make sure all spices are evenly distributed amongst the ground turkey mixture.
6) Once the mixture is cooked, turn heat off and keep pan on the stove top.
7) Set your oven to Broil, spray the 4 green bell pepper boats with non stick cooking spray, add salt and pepper and place on top of a tin foil coated baking sheet.
8) Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 6 -8 minutes (flipping the peppers after 3-4 minutes) – ensuring each side gets slightly toasty.
9) Once each side is toasted (and has dark brown spots), remove from the oven and distribute ¼ of the turkey mixture into each pepper “boat.”
10) Place 2 stuffed pepper boats on 2 plates and Enjoy!
Picadillo Stuffed Peppers Nutritional Counts (per serving):
2 Vegetable Servings
5 ounces extra lean protein
Berry Lemonade Smoothie Lollipops
(Serving for 2, serving size = ½ the smoothie mixture)
- 12 Strawberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemonade crystal light powder (add more or less depending on your liking)
- 3 Tablespoons water
- Ice cube tray (try round ice molds, or ones with fun shapes)
- Popsicle sticks
1) Using a blender, blend the strawberries, blueberries, crystal light lemonade powder and water until smooth (about 30 seconds).
2) Pour smoothie mixture into ice molds and freeze.
3) After the ice trays have been in the freezer for about an hour, stick popsicle sticks in the center of each mold, so that the sticks remain stiff (and don’t fall).
4) Freeze until solid and enjoy half of the lollipops as one serving!
Berry Lemonade Smoothie Lollipops Nutritional Counts (per serving):
2 Fruit Servings
back to top